US Airways Plane Down in Hudson River - New York

>> Jan 15, 2009

So, if you haven't seen the news, some rowdy teenage birds were drunk and probably high on crystal meth and decided to down a US Airways plane that was departing La Guardia Airport.

The plane went down in the Hudson River around 48th street - right behind my apartment.  I saw the breaking news on TV - threw on as many layers as I could find (because it's 18 degrees outside) and went up to my roof.

There were about six other folks up there with cameras trying to get a glimpse of the catastrophic affair.  Unfortunately for us death-watching thrill seekers, we couldn't see the wreckage from our vantage point.

So, I headed downstairs and out the doors to the pier.  I walked what seemed liked several blocks, following drones of others who were obviously interested in checking out the same scene.  Along the way, I walked by Jon Stewart's studio at The Daily Show and witnessed a caravan of dressing room trailers lining the street.  Outside the studio entrance stood about 50-60 fans waiting to see if they could get last-minute tickets to tonight's show.  On a side note, last night I logged on to The Daily Show Web site and noticed there were still tickets.  Right when I was about to reserve one, they were snatched up!  Instantly!  Now, all of the subsequent shows are booked!  Devil!

Finally getting passed Jon Stewart's studio, I walked all the way down near 48th street before I was un-welcomed by squads of police officers and ambulances.  I wanted to get some video for you guys, but it was so cold I had to use my hands to block the wind chill by keeping my hood over my head.  My toes began to ache like there was no tomorrow and I could feel my legs beginning to cramp from the biting cold.  I knew at that point, this warm-natured Texas boy should start making his way back home before he fell victim to frost bite.

So, I turned back around and headed toward 52nd street where I found several backstage crew members smoking behind the studio building.  I felt a little jealous at first, because, secretly, I want to break back into the world of broadcasting.  I couldn't think of a better place to start than The Daily Show.  In fact, last night I applied for an internship with the show.  Even if I have to fetch coffee for Jon, it will be worth the experience.


0 comments:

LGBT Activists

LGBT Blogs

  • Hello world! - Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing! The post Hello world! first appeared on queerplanet.
    3 years ago
  • Word of the Gay: "Ghey" - "Ghey" is a postmodern redevelopment of the pejorative usage of the term gay. The term is supposed to convey a sense of being lame or uncool without offend...
    13 years ago

Gay List Daily