'RENT' Production Protested by Rowlett High School Parents

>> Dec 5, 2008

Parents of students at Rowlett High School in Rowlett, Texas are up in arms over the proposed production of Broadway hit musical "RENT".  VIDEO BELOW

Parents say that the content of the play deals with "controversial issues" such as homosexuality, drugs and transexuals.  Others even FEAR that the production will teach kids an alternative lifestyle that is "unacceptable".  I could barf right now, considering "RENT" is one of the most profound and beautiful musicals ever written.

Clearly, what many people fail to see is that "RENT" doesn't teach anything other than how to love; how to find true friendship; how not to judge people around you and how to overcome adversity.  It also teaches us that drugs are dangerous and can not only lead to death, but drugs also hurt the people that care about us.

How many other high school plays truly teach all the profound valuable lessons that "RENT" attempts to convey?  What really pisses me off are all of the idiotic parents out there who are so oblivious to the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of school-age kids who already identify themselves as being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, and I'd bet my life on it that they've known they were gay since they were old enough to speak.  I knew I was gay even in kindergarten when I had a crush on my best friend. 

For Pete's sake...some of you stupid people out there who really think that being gay is a choice are sadly mistaken.  It's time to open your eyes and discover that numerous generations have been brainwashed with hatred and fear of something you can't understand.

Thankfully, I had parents who let me discover myself and loved me no matter who I am.  I couldn't imagine trying to shelter my child from all the things that they will someday be faced with in the real adult world.

But, I digress.  I know that bad habits, albeit hatred and ignorance, die hard.  Some people just don't even know how ignorant they are.  And, that's just really sad.

A decision by the School Board will be made on Friday, December 5 whether or not to let the show go on.

UPDATE:  As of 2:17 a.m. - not even an hour after I posted this same blog entry on www.NBC5i.com, the station DELETED my post!

0 comments:

LGBT Activists

LGBT Blogs

  • Hello world! - Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing! The post Hello world! first appeared on queerplanet.
    3 years ago
  • Word of the Gay: "Ghey" - "Ghey" is a postmodern redevelopment of the pejorative usage of the term gay. The term is supposed to convey a sense of being lame or uncool without offend...
    13 years ago

Gay List Daily